Monday, June 26, 2017

Pride Month 2017: LGBTQ+ Book Recommendations

You know how sometimes you're thinking about books and you wish you could find one with a certain type of character or something specific within your favourite genre? I'll read almost any type of LGBTQ+ book, but sometimes I'm looking for something in particular and it's hard to find. I figured I can't be the only one, and thus the idea for this post was born. It's by no means an extensive list, but it was fun to put together, and I hope some of you will find it useful! Maybe you'll even find something you didn't know you were looking for.

Looking for...

Characters:


*A gay superhero? 

Midnighter by Steve Orlando

*A bisexual Middle Grader? 

Star-Crossed by Barbara Dee

*A transgender MC? 

If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo

*A POC lesbian MC?

It’s Not Like it’s a Secret by Misa Sugiura

*A disabled bisexual MC?

Far From You by Tess Sharpe

*A bisexual POC celebrity MC?

Under the Lights by Dahlia Adler

*A Jewish lesbian MC?

Knit One Girl Two by Shira Glassman

*A lesbian Christian MC?

Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit by Jaye Robin Brown

Genres/Miscellaneous:

*F/F Historical Fiction?

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters

*M/M Thriller?
Hushed by Kelley York

*F/F Non-Fiction?

Girl Hearts Girl by Lucy Sutcliffe

*F/F Science Fiction/Fantasy?

The Abyss Surrounds Us by Emily Skrutskie

*M/M Road Trip?

Trust the Focus by Megan Erickson

*F/F Set outside North America?

Get it Together, Delilah! by Erin Gough

*F/F Set in Canada?

Take Them by Storm by Marie Landry

*F/F Retelling?

As I Descended by Robin Talley
SPOILER (highlight the black lines to read): Please note this is a retelling of Shakespeare's Macbeth. I know some people were angry about the characters' deaths because of the unfortunate prevalence of a ‘kill the queers’ mentality in books/TV shows/film, and I normally despise that myself, but in the case of a retelling, you have to know it's inevitable. Macbeth is a tragedy - it's not meant to have a happy ending.

A surprise LGBTQ+ book (one I didn’t know going in had a f/f relationship:

SPOILER (highlight the black to read): The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

What are some of your favourite LGBTQ+ books? Are there any you recommend regularly? Anything specific you're looking for in an LGBTQ+ book?
{Instagram || Facebook || Twitter || GoodReads || Pinterest}

2 comments:

  1. Love all your suggestions! I'm currently hunting (perhaps obsessively) for an m/m book with musician characters, one that actually focuses on the music a bit. I've read a few and been disappointed so far but I've got some more lined up that look promising. I'm hoping they help me with inspiration for some sequel ideas for my current WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendations, Marie! I've started reading a lot more LGBTQ+ books over the past couple of years and am always looking for new suggestions. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...